Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Today

I had a great conversation with my boss today. In fact, we've had some real meaningful ones lately. He recently was born again, putting his faith and life in Christ. And you can see a change in him. As a result, we have had some really good conversations over the recent months.

Last weekend he went and saw the new movie Courageous. He said it changed his life (and has been on me making sure my wife and I go watch it). I started talking with him about how fast time flies in life and the importance of spending time with our children. Giving our time and attention to them. Focused attention.

You see, my boss is in his 50's and all his children are out on their own, starting their own families and having children (his beloved grandchildren). He retired from the military, and has done several business ventures on his own since then. He is an extremely hard worker and is good at what he does.

I say all this because it gives perspective regarding what he said to me. It was so simple, and yet, as I reflect on it, is profound in helping us become better fathers. He talked about how we say to our kids, "We'll play tomorrow." Or, "Let's do that later." He also talked about how the things he thought were so important then, aren't so important now.

Tomorrow. Later. Yea, I've said it. Sadly, many times, later never comes. As a poem I once read says, Tomorrow never comes. Dad gets (and is) preoccupied with everything else that utterly pales in comparison to my son's or daughter's heart and affection.

We don't understand how important and meaningful and weighty that moment is for them. We can understand some when we reflect on our childhood and our relationship with our parents. Dad and Mom are heroes, they're everything in many ways.

And yet all they hear might be, "Tomorrow."

I left the conversation so uplifted and encouraged to look into my children's eyes and give them the attention and affection they deserve, Today.

One of my fears is not enjoying life as it is here and now. Constantly looking to the next thing and not seizing the moments I have with my children here and now. I fear it because that is what I do - constantly toiling about everything in life but the things, or people, that really matter. My children are growing up way to fast as it is.

And yet, in that conversation with my boss was a hidden gem called "Today." Not tomorrow, but today. One of the secrets to living life to the fullest is living it today. Playing that game, today. Building that Lego model, today. Giving that affection, today. Looking in their eyes with distracted pleasure, today.

And so here it is, or gift, called Today. Tomorrow isn't garunteed. I've always know that, yet it hit me with more significance, today. That little decision of saying yes to today with my kids as opposed to tomorrow can have a profound impact on our relationship, their relationship with God, their future, and how they will one day raise their kids. As my boss said, the pattern needs to end with me, today.

One decision. One exchange in words. I won't do it tomorrow, I'll do it today.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post-such a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. One exchange of words at the right moments can have a profound impact.

    ReplyDelete