Friday, October 21, 2011

Precious Marbles

Yesterday I began a post about commitment. I had questions regarding commitment to believers in the church, yet ended with a possible answer in love. In fact, I believe it was the answer to my questions. I want to write more on this subject, but not tonight :)

Tonight, I want to give an update.

Remember the marble post? Well, I ran the numbers. I calculated them up. I numbered my days.

Numbering my months hit me the most. I know how fast a month goes, and when I numbered them, 500 or so, I was taken back. Just a few hundred? My life?

I am understanding more and more why the Psalmist wanted to be taught to "number" his days. It truly works in us that heart of wisdom that he talks about in Psalm 90. It helps us to remove the foolishness of thinking our lives last forever, and empowers us through the Holy Spirit to make the most of the moments we have in front of us.

I can honestly say, this whole thing has been having an impact on my life, for the good. I have thought more than once when I am with my kids, that the moment before me is like holding that marble in my hand. After today, that marble will be gone, never to be held again. It helps me to open my eyes and my heart to the precious moment before me with my children that so often I look over and exchange for the unnecessary burdens I allow myself to carry around in my heart and mind.

So, Lord, once again,

...teach us to number our days
   that we may get a heart of wisdom.

Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment