Sunday, October 9, 2011

Perfect

I think I can live life perfectly on my own efforts. I wouldn't generally admit to that, but its what I [try to] do. I can feel it when the Holy Spirit or my wife calls me out on it. I'm caught up trusting in my own efforts and righteousness.

Romans 3:10-12 states,

as it is written:
   "None is righteous, no, not one;
 no one understands;
   no one seeks for God.
All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
   no one does good,
   not even one."


Generally, this isn't an encouraging verse. And, it isn't. It's the bad news that precedes the good news in Christ spoken of later in the chapter. For me, the fact that no one is righteous, not even one, is also good news. It's good news because I can stop striving. Stop trying to live on my own accord, my own merit. Stop trying to earn His favor or acceptance, and instead receive it as a free gift.

While spending some time with the Lord this morning, this thought came to me:

Instead of trying to live this life perfectly; I need to trust in the Perfect One.

I read something similar to this in a tweet from someone I follow on Twitter yesterday. I don't know exactly what it said, but this truth came back to me at the right time this morning.

I. Can't. Do. It.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says,

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

It's never a burden to me to revisit the gift of God's grace. I'm accepted and declared righteous because of Jesus Christ this morning, not because of my own efforts. And it is by His grace, that I am empowered to live a holy life.

Ahhhh....

So once again, this morning, I surrender to your grace, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment