Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Knowledge

In America, we seem to prize knowledge. Knowledge seems to be the end in many ways, instead of part of the journey. Because I know or can at least conceptualize something or some subject matter, it makes me more valuable or some how important.

From what I see in the Scriptures, however, there is a difference between knowing something and doing something. Knowledge isn't everything. Even though a person is exhorted to gain knowledge in Proverbs, we also know that a believer must not be just a hearer of the Word, but a doer as well.

With the men I get together with on Wednesday nights, I talked about this very issue. We recently started a new book to discuss, The Jesus Letters, by David Ravenhill. Mr. Ravenhill is a man we all respect, and we look forward to his teaching on the letters to the churches in Revelation.

In the book, Mr. Ravenhill talks about the plethora of books that we have on christianity today. The problem is that if we are not careful, this book will become just another one of those books, just another book on the shelf. Nice book, sure. But how did it affect my life?

It's too easy to read another book, get done, say "that was nice," and move on with it having no lasting impact on my life.

More knowledge, more hearing; no change, no doing.

The worse thought though is not that we do that with good books like Mr. Ravenhill's, but that we do it with God's book to humanity, the Holy Scriptures.

The Bible talks about how hearing (or reading) and not doing is like looking in a mirror, seeing ourselves for who we are, and then walking away immediately forgetting what we looked like. Too many times I believe that describes me.

May we not be readers only, but doers.

No comments:

Post a Comment