Thursday, October 6, 2011

Maps

I love maps. Not sure why. But I do. I have been wanting to post about maps for a few days now, I feel like they mean so much to me. Weird, I know.

If you've hung around me or gotten to know me, at some point when we are discussing where something is, you've seen me turn to my Google Maps on my phone to pin point the location.

Stop the conversation, I need to check my map.

Street view, satellite view, or my current favorite, terrain... doesnt matter, I like maps. Rand McNally and I - buddies. For Life. BFF. (Well, not that close).

I'd say I prefer to have a map in my hand, but I also love the interactivity of the Maps App on my phone. Got an address? I'll find you. You cant hide from me.

I better move on before I go overboard.

My family went on road trips when I was young. They were great. It was a great time for everyone to stop the busy-ness of life and just spend time with each other. No distractions, just family. I remember following the maps that we had as we drove to our destination. This was before GPS world. Need to know mileage to next exit? Got it. Time till we get there? No problem, I'll use my map and sign skills. I still remember to this day predicting to the minute our time of arriving at a particular point on our trip. I thought I was pretty special.

So I have always loved maps I guess. I could gaze at them for hours. I love to see the bigger picture, and zoom in on the details. I love trip planning, and scoping out the area of where we are going - using maps.

There is something to a map. It shows you where you are, where you want to go, and how to get there. Even showing elevation, satellite views, detours, etc. using today's interactive maps.

I guess in some ways that's how I am in life. I love understanding where I am at, where I need to go, and how to get there. Problem is, I don't always see my life map as clearly as a road map. I wish it were that easy. That is where trust enters. God knows where I am, my destination, and how to get there.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
   and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
   and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5,6 ESV

With that I will leave you with a snapshot of my current favorite map view - Terrain. The particular snapshot is of a town called, Bluefield, VA. I heard about this place talking with one of the ladies from The Neighborhood, a local home for senior living. She said it is where she is from and said it was the highest town (in elavation) this side of the Mississipi. Not sure if that is true, but I do love her map :)


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment