Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Culture

I read an article today that sparked something in me that I haven't thought much about in a while. When I was teaching math in upstate New York, we had a gentleman come in to lead a seminar with the teachers. Most likely the students had the day off while the teachers still reported for duty. Seminars like this were usually met with begrudging attitudes from the teachers whom didn't want to spend their day attending another seminar.

Something that this speaker said has stayed with me for years since I heard him talk about it. I don't remember all of the words he used, but the spirit of his message is what I caught.

He talked about the atmosphere of a school. The culture of a school. He talked about how you can change strategies and come up with new ideas for helping students succeed and creating a positive learning environment in the school, but if the culture doesn't shift there will be no lasting change to that school system. In other words, go ahead and change your slogans, come up with a fancy vision and mission statement, even new programs, but if that vision statement doesn't go any deeper than the letters on the page, nothing will ever really change.

You see, the culture, or ethos, of a school (business, home, etc) is affected by deeply held beliefs, and until those are changed, new ideas and hip strategies will fall short (the fact that we as teachers were begrudgingly attending the seminar pointed to a culture issue!). The culture or essence or spirit of a organization is a deep thing, and not impacted (for the long term) by a surface change. It is driven by these inner convictions and passions we have. Those passions and convictions and beliefs cause us to act, speak, etc in a particular way and without changing our beliefs, passions, and convictions, there again can be no long lasting change.

I love to think on this because it causes me to reflect on my life and see what I need to change. I love getting to the heart of things, diving deep below the surface. I want to get to the deepest part of my convictions and make sure they line up with Christ, that I may have long-lasting change and become more like Jesus. As the leader of my home, I have a huge impact on the culture of my home. My kids pick up my essence without even realizing it. They walk according to my beliefs by nature.

Just because you walk into KFC, it doesn't make you a chicken leg, right? Walking into a church doesn't make you a Christian. It is something that happens deep inside of a person - they are born again. I think of many of those who profess to know Christ, yet never seem to have a true change in actions...

Maybe they never have had a true culture shift? Have they had a real change in passions and beliefs? Were they ever truly born of the Spirit of God?

You can dress them up, teach them Christianese, give them self-help books, even the Scriptures to improve on their life, but the deep issues will come out at some point - they have never truly repented, they were never born again.

So, what's the culture of your business? Your family? Your life? What do people feel when they enter your business? How would people describe you when they are around you.

Good questions. I hope that the culture, or fragrance if you will, of my life is point people to Jesus.

To read the article that got me going on all this, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment