Sunday, January 8, 2012

Faith

Four of my kids walking along the Erie Canal in Albion, NY
I want to thank everyone who took even just a few moments to pray for us and our extended family during this season of loss. We appreciate your love and support so much in this time.

We made it back home late tonight after spending a couple days with Liz's parents and family up in western New York. It was an emotional, but fulfilling trip. And, it was good to be around family.

Though it is never easy to say goodbye to a family member, Liz's "Papa" lived a long and full life, raising nine children, married for over 50 years, traveled the country, and did his best to be a light for Jesus. He loved the Lord, and so we are encouraged that he has been united with the Eternal God who rescued him from his sins.

I was so thankful that my children were able to attend the funeral to honor their Great Grandfather in that small way. I want them to understand that they are part of a bigger picture, that we are to honor fathers and mothers of the flesh and of faith, and I want them to know that there is both a beginning and an end to life. What we do on this earth truly does matter, and one day we will all meet our Creator when all is said and done.

I am thankful for my wife's grandfather (and grandmother) - for their faith and desire to serve the Lord. They passed that faith to my mother-in-law and then on to my wife, and now it is passed to my children and theirs one day too.

We are all part of a bigger story, God's story. And I am so thankful that my family and I get to play a small role in His masterpiece.

2 comments: