Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Precious Moments

Last summer our whole family visited my Grandpa and Grandma's farm. What a great time we had! The kids got to climb on tractors, crawl through the barn, see the cows, and best of all, spend some time with their Great Grandparents.

I didn't know at the time it would be the kids' last time with their Great Grandma Strickland.

And mine.

I found out from my Mom this morning that her Mother, my Grandmother, had died. She died there at the house where we all had visited with my grandparents that day, where I have many memories from time spent there as a kid.

Needless to say it has been an emotional day.

It was a difficult day for me as her grandson, and I am sure for all those who were close to her, family or friend. At the same time I can't imagine what my Mother, Uncle, and especially my Grandpa must be feeling, knowing how I feel today.

Grandpa and Grandma had been married for (I believe) at least 70 years. They are from another generation, another time in our nation as they have lived through everything from the end of World War 1, the Great Depression and World War II, to Vietnam, Desert Storm, 9/11, and everything in between. Life has changed so much in America over the course of their lives. Technology, travel, and even morals and values have changed - some things have changed for the good, some for the bad.

I am blessed with incredible grandparents, on both sides of my family. And I am so thankful that my kids, wife and I had those precious moments with my Grandmother that day.

My brother (Jesse) actually caught some of those moments on camera, where four generations laughed and talked together in that house filled with memories from me being a kid, the house where my Mom grew up, and even where my Grandfather was born.

I can look at these pictures and tell my children - this was the last day we had together with your Great Grandmother.

Precious moments indeed.






2 comments:

  1. Oh, John, I'm so sorry! What a blessing you were able to have those times together and make such memories. Prayers.
    Through Christ

    ReplyDelete