Saturday, February 25, 2012

Media Freedom

This past Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. I seem to remember participating in the Ash Wednesday ritual growing up in the Methodist church. Even so, I really had no idea regarding the meaning behind the tradition. After a quick "Googling" of the topic, it seems to me a time of fasting, repentance, inward reflection and the like 40 days out from Easter (Sunday's not included in the count - read more here).

Though we don't participate in the practice, we did find ourselves starting a bit of a fast as a family this past Wednesday. And so far, I am soo glad we did.

We decided as a family to fast all extraneous media. For example, no movies, no Wii, no internet surfing, no iPod games, limited Facebook and Twitter except for specific communication, and similar things, for a week. And all of us - parents and children - are participating.

Talk about eye opening.

We knew the kids had been playing too much Wii lately, what I didn't know is just how much we all needed to step back from all these things and smell the fresh air of media freedom.We wouldn't have said that media was a controlling thing in our home as we had taken strides years ago to remove live television from our home, and trying to monitor and limit media intake. However, we all know there are plenty other of avenues for our thoughts, desires, imagination, and energy to be taken up and spoiled by other media outlets.

I am seeing that every little bit that I am caught up in these media mind mushers, means my attention is taken from the more important. If my energy, desires, etc. are wrapped up, even a little, in these things, that means the most important - my wife and children, are not getting my best. Even worse, God isn't getting my best.

It may sound strange, but we are honestly feeling and breathing the clean air of media freedom. We don't feel as rushed, we're more attentive, which means we're more involved in each other and God. And it seems crazy! We wouldn't have said we were overrun with media overdose, yet, that's in some ways exactly how it feels!

So, Ash Wednesday or not - I would challenge each of you to do the same - fast media for a week. Or maybe even for the 40 days leading up till Resurrection Sunday. And I mean specifically media. Doesn't matter how affected by media you think you are, you may be surprised by what happens to you and your family during the fast. If you absolutely already have no media in your life (which I highly doubt because you are reading this post on some sort of media channel!) then find something that preoccupies your time, thoughts, and energy, even if it seems little, and give it up.

For a time. Or longer.

We are already discussing long term changes to our home and lifestyles as a result of this fast. I hope you find the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment