Monday, November 14, 2011

Emoticon

"All learning has an emotional base." Plato

I know very little of Plato, nor is that the point of my writing, but this random quote I came across made me think. It made me think, if anything, on the place of emotion in my life.

I believe I have a low EQ, that is to say, emotional intelligence (Google it for some interesting background on the topic). I struggle with determining and assessing my emotions. Just ask my wife.

However, I believe blogging is helping me improve on my emotional intelligence. At least I hope so. When I so often can be disconnected from the very emotions and feelings inside of me, blogging requires me to look inside and evaluate what I am really thinking and going through... what I am really feeling.

My wife, Liz, is opposite. Where I struggle to connect with my inner feelings, my wife can recognize hers quickly - not only hers, but mine too in many ways :)

Many times when I think I or we are doing well, her scoreboard says something quite different. I have learned over the years that she has a better gauge on those things than I do, and to pay attention when she is feeling something regarding such.

So, here's to emotion. Hopefully this blogging stuff will help me better my EQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment