Thursday, April 12, 2012

The "Full Time" Mom



My Dad sent this picture of a bumper sticker a while back. He gets it. He, of course is married to my Mom, who raised me and my 5 brothers and sisters. I am so grateful that she was able to stay at home with us kids. My Mom knew what this bumper sticker meant.
So does my wife.

My wife works tirelessly in our home, raising 5 kids ages 8 and under, homeschooling the older ones while I am away at work, along with preparing meals, encouraging, listening, cleaning, disciplining... and all that goes into raising children and keeping a home. Yea, my wife knows what this bumper sticker means.

Unfortunately, being a wife and mother in the home isn't valued like it used to be. Women who choose to take care of their family and home "full-time" are looked down upon, as if somehow they're not as capable as the "working" or "career" moms out there. I also know there are those moms who would love to be home with their families and simply can't because of life circumstances. But for a woman who works from the home to be seen as somehow less valuable, less smart, less capable is a crime.

It couldn't be farther from the truth.

So for those wives and mothers who have the privilege to work in the home full-time, raising the next generation of leaders in the church, business, and the country, who understand what this bumper sticker means...

Thank You.

Your worth is far above gold or silver or rubies, and your investment is eternal. It was my Mom who made an immeasurable investment in my life, just as my wife, Elizabeth, is making the same investment in the lives of our children.

Elizabeth, your love, beauty, character, intelligence, conviction, passion, talent and hard work is noticed and so greatly appreciated. I can't tell you enough how much I love you. The kids and I are better, because of you.

2 comments: