Thursday, April 5, 2012

Love

Yesterday morning the Holy Spirit began speaking to me about His love for me. I went first to the Song of Solomon. This book is a beautiful picture of the love shared between a man and woman, but I believe that it is a greater revelation of the love shared between Jesus and His bride, the Church.

I read how the husband adores and finds such pleasure in his bride, and I knew that is how God sees His Church. I have known these things of course - that God loves me - but as I wrote in an earlier post, I found myself not wanting to believe that God would truly love me to the point of finding pleasure in me. Even delighting in me!

Me? Me? I'm not worthy of His love...

No, I'm not worthy. I never was nor never will be. And that's the beauty.

I found myself thinking on Revelation where we as the bride are united with Christ at the end of the age. We are the Bride. He is the Bridegroom. And the love we have for Him is not one way. This is a two way love relationship - as we delight in Him, He too is delighting in us. As we long for and are passionate for Him, so He is, even more so, and perfectly, towards us.

In fact, it's because He was passionately in love with us first, that we can even love Him.

Romans 5:8 says, but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.


While we were weak to save ourselves, while we spit on His face and crucified the Lover of our Souls, He showed how great His love is for us by displaying the greatest love - laying down His life for us. I only love because He loved me first.

So I am finding myself enjoying an old truth in a new way the last couple of days...

God loves me! He really does!

There is freedom and joy in embracing and receiving His love for us. And I want to know Him and His love for me all the more. I am more motivated to serve the Lord and enjoy Him when I am motivated by His love, rather than a false feeling of guilt or condemnation.

While I was pondering His love for me yesterday, a song by Brian and Jen Johnson came on as I listened to an album of theirs, We Believe. The song was "You Have Ravished My Heart" - a song about God's passionate love for us.

Check out the song below, and I pray God reveals to you and I once again, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Ephesians 3:18-19

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, John! How overwhelming once more!
    Through Christ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! I pray I am overwhelmed by His love more and more...

      Delete