Thursday, May 3, 2012

Male, or Man? Part III

I can't escape it. I keep being brought back to it.

Manhood.

What does it look like? Who can I look to? What makes you a real man?

In a conversation with a friend a little while ago, we got talking about the generations of men before us. Those of my grandfathers' generation. They were men. Real men.

Those who lived through or around the Great Depression, and through the difficulties of WWII, seemed to exude an ora of manhood. Hard-working, disciplined, focused, frugal, respectable men. They were strong in their decisions and convictions, strong in their successes, and in their failures.

Somehow these men became the men they were. Maybe they were a product of their time, having lived through such difficult times in our country, maybe it was the traditional values that they held to, or their strong sense of morals and honor of God above, or maybe they were well-trained by the generation before them...

These wise men of our day, including my both my Grandfathers, are a stark contrast to what media portrays as manhood in our day. A stark contrast to "males" in our nation.

I guess I am on a journey. A journey to find men, true men, as God designed a man to be.

Somewhere, manhood has gotten lost in translation...

No comments:

Post a Comment