Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Looking Back to Look Ahead

Liz and I were talking a few days ago about the year that was. We began discussing the various events that had occurred in our lives... paying off a chunk of debt in less than half the time we set out to do, getting laid off, starting a business, a new (old) job, visits from distant family, training a puppy then giving him away, broken appliances only to see God provide bountifully, and the list went on.

Though some things might be seen as negative or not good situations, we were able to look back and see God's hand in all of it. I'm thankful not necessarily for the difficult times in and of themselves, but for what God did in us through them. Or, even better, that He was with us through it all.

We looked back and ultimately were able to say with all our hearts, 2012 was a good year. We are so blessed; God showed His hand in our lives through His voice, our friends, His provision, love, and more.

As we pondered the year ahead, the typical New Year's resolutions weren't our first thought. Something seems different this year - it seems we are on a continual resolution with the Lord.

What I mean to say is that God is changing us, and speaking to us on an ongoing basis. Resolutions mean change, and this year it seemed we have been on a journey of change and growing throughout the year. We just want to keep going. Keep changing as we walk with Him. God knows I need change.

Not that He hasn't changed us or walked with us before, it's just... something is different this year. I can't quite put a finger on it, but maybe God has brought us (all by His doing) to a place of surrender that we have never been in before.

Or maybe not. Not sure.

Either way, I want to walk closer to Him this year than ever before.

And, there are a couple of resolutions that came to mind... one of them being to read more! I really would like to read more, but usually I read a book long enough and intense enough that I get the gist, pull out what I can, then lose interest. So my goal? 12 books this year. One per month, which is incredibly ambitious for me.

God is so kind and good to us. I am so thankful to be on this journey with Him. I am nothing without Him.

I know it's cliche, but, I don't know what this year will look like, I don't really know what the future holds... but I know who holds the future.

And in His hands is the only place I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment