Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tornado Effects?

Yesterday morning our county had a tornado touchdown close to where we live in Ferguson. It happened in the morning just before I was heading off to school to teach.

The storm rolled in, and as it did my daughter and I heard a loud thud. I didn't think too much of it, especially after checking on the sleeping kids to make sure none of our boys rolled out of bed or something.

After checking to see if school was canceled or delayed several times (refresh, refresh!), I walked into our master bathroom, only to see the above image...

There was a tree limb in my bathroom.

Uhhhh...

"Liz!?"

I called my wife to come check this out. It's not everyday a tree branch is sticking out of your bathroom ceiling.

Somehow a branch (about 3 inches in diameter, maybe less) had hit our roof with enough force to drive through the roof and the ceiling.

Practically straight down too.

After trying to borrow a ladder from my neighbor, explaining what happened and pointing to the branch sticking out of my roof, I got on the roof, pulled out the branch, tacked down some tarp while my wife got a bucket (rain was coming through the hole into our bathroom), and I was off to school just a few minutes late for first period.

It made for quite a morning.

We are so thankful as it could have been much worse. Our family was safe.

We later found out that the tree branch came from a Sycamore, and there seemed to be none around us. In our yard or our neighbors.

So where did it come from?

Not sure. A spear from heaven? Why a sycamore? How did it drive into our roof like that? God, are you trying to tell us something??

Maybe.

Either way, we're so thankful. As I said, we were all safe and it could've been a lot worse.

Safe, and puzzled.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, John! Glad ya'll are okay! There was a tornado or extremely high winds at our house. The sound was really loud and sounded like a train. A first for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Glad you all are ok too! What a crazy morning!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, John! So glad everyone is okay! We had high winds and the tornado sirens went off here but nothing like that.
    Through Christ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a whirlwind morning, literally! ha :)

      Delete