Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Consequences of Ideas

"We do not create a world or environment from scratch and then live in it. Rather we step into a world and culture that already exists, and we learn to interact with it."

The quote above is from the introduction of R.C. Sproul's book, The Consequences of Ideas. This one concept has enough meat in it that you could chew on it for the rest of your life.

We were born into this world, a world already in motion. Thoughts, values, beliefs, traditions, expectations were already in existence. But just because they were already there does that make them right? Does that mean we must readily adopt them without question? And what do I already adhere to or believe by default, simply because I've never critically thought about it?

I love books like this. However, there is so much foundational thinking in them that it is hard for me to get past the introduction without a world of thoughts bombarding me. I have plently to chew on in one sentence :)

We'll see how far I get. Regardless, I already have a mouthful!

No comments:

Post a Comment